Orthodontic treatment is becoming more and more common in adults. According to the American Association of Orthodontists, more than 25% of orthodontic patients are adults. Most adults receive treatment to improve their appearance and self-esteem and to maintain their oral health. However, crooked teeth and a poor bite can contribute to gum disease and bone loss, tooth decay, abnormal wear of tooth enamel and surfaces, headaches, and jaw joint (TMJ/DMD) pain.
High-tech Damon braces use self-ligating brackets that are different than “traditional” metal braces in several ways:
- No elastic ties to hold the wire in place which causes less friction. No “ties” means less friction, less force and less discomfort
- Treatment time is generally shorter as the teeth are being moved more efficiently
- More dramatic, positive effects on facial features and lip posture, as well as, broadening the arches, thereby widening the smile
- Damon braces are smaller and less conspicuous
- Smoother against the lips and cheeks
- More time between appointments since the gates on the brackets fully engage the wire from day one and therefore less time in the office, less missed school and work.
How the Damon® System Works
At Texas Orthodontics for Kids, we treat many of our patients using the innovative Damon System braces to help you achieve your perfect smile. Damon System braces are different than traditional braces, because they have three key components that work together to deliver:
- Fewer appointments
- Greater comfort
- Consistent, high-quality results
- Better results in less time
Damon’s passive self-ligating braces eliminate the need for elastic or metal “ties”. With Damon tie-less braces you can experience treatment without tightening – providing more comfortable treatment than with traditional braces.
- Light, high-technology shape-memory wires that move teeth faster and require fewer adjustments than traditional braces that use elastic ligatures – so your appointments will be faster and fewer in number
- A new clinically proven treatment approach that aligns your teeth and enhances your facial aesthetics-which reduces the need for many of the time-consuming, complicated procedures that are often used with traditional braces. Damon braces are designed to be more comfortable and easy to keep clean. Without the elastic ties which attract and collect plaque, Damon Braces make dental hygiene easier during treatment. Plus the Damon System is available in clear brackets – Damon Clear – for our image-conscious patients.